Network for Integrated Planning and Sustainable Development Strategies-Asia&Pacific (SDplanNet-AP) exists to help professionals involved in development planning share innovative approaches for integrating sustainable development into plans, strategies and budgeting processes at national, sub-national and local levels.
Types of Approaches and Tools being shared
The network focuses on approaches that facilitate forward-looking analysis and adaptive strategy-making and that identify important linkages and trade-offs among economic, social and environmental issues. Examples of approaches include, but are not limited to: the use of scenario outlooks for long-term planning; indicator information systems to measure progress towards improved quality of life and sustainability; integrated assessment techniques such as sustainability assessment and integrated policy appraisal; creation and operation of multi-stakeholder councils and advisory groups; and innovative financing mechanisms such as payment for ecological goods and services.
- Persons from national governments who are responsible for developing and coordinating national development plans and strategies, including planning and finance departments, as well as environment, natural resources, education, health, and community development
- Persons from sub-national and local governments, including city officials, who are responsible for developing and coordinating development plans and strategies
- Persons from organizations who have a mandate and interest in advancing approaches for integrating sustainable development into decision-making
- (Not currently conducting) Host bi-monthly internet-based learning events on specific tools and approaches used by network participants and in other countries around the world.
- (Currently conducting) Moderate e-mail correspondence among the participants to share new practices and questions posted by the participants.
- (Currently conducting online) Share best practices with other similar networks worldwide.
- (Currently conducting online) Conduct targeted research on specific tools and approaches of interest to network participants.
- (Not currently conducting) Coordinate and host annual conferences featuring tools and approaches for integrating sustainable development into national plans, strategies and budgeting processes.
Advisory Group Members
›› European Environment and Sustainable Development Advisory Councils (EEAC)
›› Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
›› Earth Council
›› Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO)
›› Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
›› International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
›› International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
›› Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
›› The Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat
›› Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme
›› UN Division for Sustainable Development
›› UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP)
›› UNEP Regional Resource Center for Asia and the Pacific